The Environmental Health department is responsible for providing strategic and administrative leadership for the management of policies and programmes relating to Environmental Sanitation.
As part of the Department’s responsibility, it provides advice for the formulation and review of policies and programmes on Environmental Sanitation, Develop technical standards and specification for Environmental Sanitation service delivery.
The Department manages the day-to-day administration and controls all activities for the smooth functioning of the division. In order to ensure effective and efficient management of sanitation within the District, the Department coordinates the application of engineering techniques and concepts in the solution of Waste Management problems.
District Public Health also liaises with agencies in addressing complex Environmental Sanitation problems requiring inter-sectorial collaboration as well as lead the quality assurance process for Environmental Sanitation.
In the execution of its mandate, the Department initiates and coordinate research and lead the dissemination of results in the Environmental Sanitation field. It also vets building plans and specifications of various types of licensed establishments, for compliance with Environmental Sanitation rules and regulations.
Contemporary environmental health services by promoting and protecting public health and safety through collaboration innovation and strategic standard enforcement
Providing Environmental Health and Sanitation profile for policy formulation process
· Geographical boundary
· Identify socio-economic/cultural activities
· Identify stakeholders/opinion leaders
· Identify sanitary sites and other facilities e.g. schools, hospitals, churches, etc.
· Identify hard core sanitary problems existing within the community.
· Document profile into DESSAP (District Environmental Sanitation Strategy and Action Plan)
· The Waste Management Department is responsible for the provision of facilities, infrastructure Services and programmes for effective and efficient waste management for the improvement in environmental sanitation, the protection of the environment and the promotion of public health.
· The department primarily receives and provides adequate treatment and effective disposal of solid waste.
· As part of ensuring proper hygiene, the department supervises the cleansing of drains, streets, markets, car parks and weeding of road sides and open spaces as well as inspection and maintenance of sanitary facilities in the District.