The Department of Works of the Assembly is a merger of the Public works Department, Department of Feeder Roads and District Water & Sanitation Units, Department of Rural Housing and the Works Unit of the Assembly.
The Works Department;
· Facilitate the implementation of policies on works and report to the Assembly, and provide advice on matters relating to Works in the Assembly.
· Facilitate the construction, repair and maintenance of:
· Public roads including Feeder Roads.
· Drains along any streets in the major settlements within its jurisdiction.
· Encourage and facilitate maintenance of public buildings and facilities in the Assembly.
· Assist to build, equip, close and maintain markets and prohibit the erection of stores in places other than the markets.
· Assist to inspect projects undertaken by the District Assembly with the relevant departments of the Assembly.
· Advise the Assembly on the prohibition of digging of burrow pits and other evacuations in the sinking of wells or their closers.
· Assist to maintain public buildings made up of offices, residential accommodations and ancillary structures.
· Advise and encourage owners of building structures to:
ü Remove dilapidated structures in any public place.
ü Paint, distemper, white wash or colour wash the outside of any building forming part of the premises
ü Tidy up the premises and remove any derelict vehicles or objects which constitute nuisance
· Provide technical advice for the machinery and structural layout of building plans to facilitate escape from fire, rescue operation and fire management